WASHINGTON - The Bison women's track and field team won the 2019 Gallaudet University Invitational on a sunny Saturday at Thomas O. Berg Track in the nation's capital. The Bison edged out University of Mary Washington by eight points, 138-130, for first place. Medgar Evers College was third with 129 points followed by Goucher College in fourth (63).
Gallaudet dominated the jumping events and pole vault as the Bison won all four events. Freshman Hannah Wetzel (Fremont, Calif.) led the way with wins in the high jump (1.50 meters), long jump (5.22 meters) and improved her own school record in the triple jump (11.13 meters). Her old mark of 10.31 meters was set last month at the Jim Taylor Invitational. Junior Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) was second in the triple jump with a top jump of 10.44 meters.
Senior Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) shined on Senior Day as she won the pole vault as she cleared 2.39 meters while freshman Krista Kachnik (Henderson, Nev.) was second with a top mark of 2.24 meters.
Sophomore Sabrina Hernandez (Ashland, Va.) finished second in the javelin with a top throw of 25.20 meters.
Gallaudet's 4x100 meter relay finished second with a time of 53.21 seconds while the 4x400 meter relay was third with a time of 4:27.60.
Freshman Sierra Pratt (Katy, Texas) was second in the 3,000-meter run (14:55.86) and seventh in the 1,500-meter run (6:30.33).
Junior Anyia Brown (Wilmington, Del.) was fourth in the 100-meter dash (14.44), fifth in the 400-meter dash (1:09.42) and seventh in the 200-meter dash (29.69).
- Sophomore Nia Ralston (Danville, Ky.) was third in the shot put (7.23 meters) and fifth in the hammer (19.26 meters)
- Sophomore Carina Dominguez Can (Hillsboro, Ore.) was fourth in the discus (23.89 meters) and fifth in the shot put (6.91 meters)
- Freshman Tyler Mitchell (Perrysburg, Ohio) was fourth in the shot put (6.93 meters) and hammer (21.18 meters) and sixth in the discus (17.98 meters)
- Freshman Jaelynn King (Springfield, Pa.) placed sixth in the hammer (12.37 meters) and seventh in the discus (16.39 meters)
- Sophomore Taylor Nguyen (Ballwin, Mo.) was fifth in the 800-meter run (3:04.21) and sixth in the 1,500-meter run (6:27.47)
- Freshman Kathy Romero (Broadway, N.Y.) was sixth in the 100-meter dash (15.73)
- Shysh was eighth in the 200-meter dash (30.05) followed by Friday in ninth (30.70)
Gallaudet will complete the regular-season schedule next Saturday, April 27, at the Paul Kiser Classic hosted by Shippensburg University in Shippensburg, Pa.