SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. - The Gallaudet University men's track and field team competed at the Paul Kaiser Classic here Saturday as several Bison student-athletes posted personal records. There were no team scores kept for this crowded meet.
Freshman Eric Gregory (Metairie, La.) finished second overall in the 100-meter dash as he crossed the finish line in 10.74 seconds to set a personal best time as he inches his way towards the school record of 10.5. In the preliminaries, Gregory was sixth overall (10.96) while senior Toraneau Varice (Pompano Beach, Fla.) was ninth (11.03) as he just missed the finals cut.
Gregory was third in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.07 while Varice was 16th (22.95).
Senior Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas) was GU's top sprinter in the 400-meter dash as he clocked in with a time of 55.74 seconds to finish 28th overall.
Senior Michael Haynes (Edwardsville, Ill.) qualified for the finals of the 110-meter hurdles with a preliminary time of 15.33 seconds but he did not finish in the final heat. Fellow senior Gunner Hahn (Delavan, Wis.) set a personal best time in the same event as he finished 13th overall (15.90). Hahn finished 19th overall in the 400-meter hurdles as he crossed the finish line in 1:01.84.
GU's 4x400 meter relay team of Varice, Hahn, Roberts and Haynes finished fourth overall with a time of 3:36.16.
In the field events, junior Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) took center stage and put on a performance. Garner placed 10th in the high jump as he cleared 1.87 meters. In the shot put, Garner placed 24th with his top throw of 12.24 meters. Over in the cage, he finished 30th in the discus (36.21 meters)
Sophomore Juan Cornejo (Hamburg, N.J.) set a personal best in the discus with his top throw of 35.15 meters to place 36th overall. Cornejo placed 36th in the hammer with a top toss of 30.88 meters.
Freshman Nicholas Smith (Hamburg, Pa.) finished 15th in the javelin with a throw that traveled 44.42 meters.
- Freshman Austin Bates (Lacey, Wash.) was 24th in the javelin (35.24 meters)
- Junior Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) finished 33rd in the 5,000-meter run (22:11.25) and 41st in the 1,500-meter run (5:47.91)
- Junior Jordan Kray (Fremont, Calif.) was 33rd in the 400-meter hurdles (1:10.02) and 35th in the 110-meter hurdles (19.32)
- Roberts was 34th in the long jump with a top leap of 5.64 meters
- Freshman Omar Harvey (Newark, N.J.) was 39th in the 200-meter dash (24.00) and 49th in the 100-meter dash prelims (11.91)
- Junior JaQuan Thomas (Savanah, Ga.) finished 39th in the discus (33.89 meters) and 47th in the shot put (10.09 meters)
- Cornejo finished 44th in the shot put (10.53 meters)
- Sophomore Jamari Porter (Stafford, Va.) was 44th in the long jump (4.93 meters)
- Senior Ronald Mattingly (Miami, Fla.) was 42nd in the hammer (28.04 meters), 50th in discus (27.48 meters) and 52nd in shot put (9.10 meters)
- Freshman Liam Painter (Edgewood, N.M.) was 68th in the 800-meter run (2:21.88)
This concludes the 2019 Gallaudet track and field season for the majority of the team. A select few student-athletes will continue training for the Swarthmore Last Chance Meet on Monday, May 13, at 4 p.m., as these Bison try and qualify for the 2019 NCAA Division III track and field championship.